When doing business with anyone that will be working in or around your home you want to make sure your contractor meets these criteria just as our company does.
Ask your Contractor these 20 important questions FIRST!
- Are you and your subcontractors licensed to do this type of work?
(CAUTION! TOO RISKY NOT TO ASK!)
Your homeowner's insurance does not cover work done by unlicensed contractors!
- Are you insured to do this type of work?
(CAUTION! THE AVERAGE CLAIM FOR INJURY RELATED DEATHS IS $1.6 MILLION!)
Your homeowner's insurance may not cover an accident, injury or damage! Require $2+ Million!
- Are your installers trained to use power tools and equipment in and around occupied spaces?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT HAVE A SAFETY TRAINING PROGRAM!)
Avoid negligence claims by requiring contractor to provide a copy of their safety program!
- Do you perform drug testing to screen your employees for hire?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PERFORM DRUG TESTING ON NEW HIRES!)
Avoid negligence claims by requiring contractor to perform drug testing for all new hires!
- Do you run a criminal background check on your employees?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PERFORM BACKGROUND CHECKS!)
Don't be victimized! Many service people have a history of theft and other crimes.
- Will you guarantee my ultimate comfort and satisfaction?
(CAUTION! INSTALLATION INVOLVES COMFORT, SAFETY, HEALTH, PROPERTY, & FINANCES!)
Get this 100% satisfaction guarantee in writing!
- Will you use driveway protectors, mats, & drop cloths while working inside/outside my home?
(CAUTION! INSTALLATION WORK REQUIRES VEHICLES, PEOPLE TRAFFIC, & FLUIDS!)
Damage to your property could raise the total cost of installation dramatically!
- Will you clean up at the end of each day?
(CAUTION! MOST CONTRACTORS DO NOT INCLUDE A DAILY CLEAN-UP AS PART OF THE JOB!)
There is no need to have your home use or beauty detracted from!
- Will you remove my old equipment and all debris from the premises?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT ITEMIZE THIS IN THEIR SCOPE OF WORK!)
"Disposal fees" added on at the end of the job are a common "hidden charge."
- Will you provide NATE certified technicians to work on air conditioning/heating equipment?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 CONTRACTORS DO NOT PROPERLY CHARGE THE REFRIGERANT!)
Avoid improper equipment set-up by requiring contractor to assign you NATE certified staff!
- Do you have office staff to handle potential customer care situations?
(CAUTION! ALTHOUGH UNLIKELY, EVEN THE BEST INSTALLATIONS CAN HAVE AN ERROR.)
Who's going to respond to your questions, comments, concerns or complaints?
- Have you been in business very long?
(CAUTION! 90% OF ALL SYSTEMS ARE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY!)
Only an experienced contractor can install correctly - putting you in error free top 10%.
- Do you have someone to handle potential customer care situations 24/7?
(CAUTION! ALTHOUGH UNLIKELY, EVEN THE BEST INSTALLATIONS CAN HAVE AN ERROR!)
What will you do if the error shows up on the weekend or a holiday?
- Will you guarantee that the price quoted will be the final price, even if you overlooked something?
(CAUTION! GETTING A LOW PRICE IS EASY WHEN A CONTRACTOR MISSES SOMETHING!)
Beware of a low initial price followed by a price increase after the work has started!
- Will all work meet or exceed existing codes and will you be pulling a permit?
(CAUTION! FIRE DUE TO CODE VIOLATION CAN VOID YOUR HOMEOWNER’S INSURANCE!)
Avoid this liability exposure by requiring contractor to pull a job permit.
- Do you use DOE endorsed written installation, start-up, and warranty management procedures?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 INSTALLATIONS ARE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY, WASTING ENERGY!)
Avoid this pitfall, or worse: defacing your property. Ask to see their installation procedures!
- Will you do a whole-house “Manual J” load calculation and duct distribution analysis?
(CAUTION! 9 OUT OF 10 INSTALLATIONS ARE OVERSIZED AND DUCTS IMPROPERLY DISTRIBUTED)
Avoid energy waste and comfort issues by requiring contractor to do “Manual J” & duct sizing!
- Is any maintenance included?
The only way to keep your equipment running properly is with regular maintenance!
- Will you use a "sound dampening system?"
Skipping this important step will make your system unnecessarily noisy!
- Are you authorized to provide the equipment manufacturer’s recommended repairs?
To assure equipment is back up and running quickly, get proof of being an authorized dealer in writing!
If you wish more information, simply click here: Ask An Expert