The first day of winter is just around the corner, although cold weather is already hitting us. In our previous post, we started talking about why you should do maintenance on your furnace or heat pump central heating system. We’ve said it before, and it is worth repeating: without proper maintenance, central heating and air systems will fail more often and waste money on energy costs.
We’ve already discussed reasons 1 to 5. Maybe that was enough for you. Maybe you already called us to schedule a tune-up and safety check. There are more reasons though, so let’s pick up where we left off and continue the list of ten reasons to inspect and tune-up your central heating & air system:
- Carbon Monoxide – If your gas or oil furnace is not operating correctly, it will produce more carbon monoxide than it should. This is an odorless, tasteless gas, that can be deadly in high enough concentrations. Nearly every furnace produces very small amounts of carbon monoxide. But without proper maintenance and tuning, more will be produced and it could get back into your home. A proper maintenance and tune-up will ensure your furnace is operating efficiently and safely.
- Clean Air – Routine maintenance should always include replacing the air filters. Dirty filters increase energy usage and are the biggest factor in “no heat” issues. If your air filter is clean, or if you have an advanced air filtration system that is operating properly, then air will flow properly through your heating system and throughout the home. The result is higher efficiency and greater comfort.
- Proper Humidity Levels – This can have a dramatic impact on how comfortable you “feel” in your home, even if the temperature is exactly where you want it. A proper maintenance and tune-up should also include a check-up on your humidifier to be sure it is operating properly, regardless of whether it is evaporation style, fan-powered, or steam injection.
- Fire Hazards – Furnaces are designed with safety features to prevent flame-roll out or excessive temperatures, which can damage the equipment or worse yet, result in a house fire. Are the safety features on your furnace operating properly? Don’t leave it to chance. Preventative maintenance includes checking these safety features and replacing components that are in doubt.
- Energy Conservation – A furnace or heat pump heating system that is not maintained and tuned properly will have to work harder to keep you comfortable. “Working harder” means running longer and consuming more energy. That results in unnecessarily high utility bills. However, by maintaining your heating system you will not only reduce your carbon footprint, you’ll also keep more money in your wallet.
Like we said, there are no flashes of enlightenment here. Just good ol’ plain reminders. And of course a responsible homeowner such as yourself surely takes these reminders seriously. Do you already have a trusted service company that you can call? Do it today and setup an appointment to have your heating system checked. GAMA Air has lots of happy customers in and around Beverly Hills, Culver City, Mar Vista, Miracle Mile, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, Westwood, Downtown Los Angeles, Vernon, Huntington Park, Sherman Oaks, Encino. We would like you to be one of them. Give us a call at (310) 651-6936 or use our online form to schedule a tune-up.
Do you have other questions that are nagging you? Visit our “Ask an Expert” page, fill out the form, and our resident expert will get back to you quickly with an answer.