The first day of summer may be a few weeks away, but it’s already heating up. Some are glad to leave winter behind, and others are dreading the summer heat. In our previous post, we started talking about why you should do maintenance on your air conditioning system. We’ve said it before, and it is worth repeating: without proper maintenance, central heating and air systems will fail more often and waste money on energy costs.
We’ve already discussed reasons 1 to 5. Maybe that was enough for you. Maybe you already called us to schedule a tune-up and safety check. There are more reasons though, so let’s pick up where we left off and continue the list of ten reasons to inspect and tune-up your central heating & cooling system:
- Mold – Air conditioners are designed to pull moisture out of the living space of your home. If your cooling system is not operating correctly, that moisture will build up inside the equipment itself and allow the growth of mold. A proper maintenance and tune-up will ensure your cooling system is draining properly.
- Clean Air – Routine maintenance should always include replacing the air filters. Dirty filters increase energy usage and are the biggest factor in “no AC” issues. If your air filter is clean, or if you have an advanced air filtration system that is operating properly, then air will flow properly through your cooling system and throughout the home. The result is higher efficiency and greater comfort.
- Proper Humidity Levels – This can have a dramatic impact on how comfortable you “feel” in your home, even if the temperature is as cool as you want it, higher than normal humidity can make you feel uncomfortable. A proper maintenance and tune-up should also include making sure the fan settings and coil temperature are set properly to remove as much moisture out of the air as it can while cooling your home.
- Water Damage – Aside from avoiding mold growth, an air conditioning system that is not properly maintained could result in water spreading onto your ceiling or flooring. Is the primary drain clear of all debris and algae build-up? Is the safety overflow switch in the drain pan of your AC operating properly? Don’t leave it to chance. Preventative maintenance includes checking these safety features and replacing components that are in doubt.
- Energy Conservation – An air conditioner that is not maintained and tuned properly will have to work harder to keep you comfortable. “Working harder” means running longer and consuming more energy. That results in unnecessarily high utility bills. However, by maintaining your cooling system you will not only reduce your carbon footprint, you’ll also keep more money in your wallet.
Like we said, there are no flashes of enlightenment here. Just good ol’ plain reminders. And of course a responsible homeowner such as yourself surely takes these reminders seriously. Do you already have a trusted service company that you can call? Do it today and setup an appointment to have your heating system checked. GAMA Air has lots of happy customers in and around Beverly Hills, Culver City, Mar Vista, Miracle Mile, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, Westwood, Downtown Los Angeles, Vernon, Huntington Park, Sherman Oaks, Encino. We would like you to be one of them. Give us a call at (310) 651-6936 or use our online form to schedule a tune-up.
Do you have other questions that are nagging you? Visit our “Ask an Expert” page, fill out the form, and our resident expert will get back to you quickly with an answer.